Do you know what a hot water recirculating pump can do for you? In case you are still deciding whether you really need a hot water recirculating pump or not, be sure to read this entire post. Using a hot water recirculating pump is actually a convenient way of ensuring that you don’t run out of water supply. No need to heat up some water when you can easily get directly from your tap.
The pump system works by pumping hot water through water pipes and back to the water heater using a separate line or the cold water line. To see how efficient a best hot water recirculating pump is, below are some models you should check out.
BEST SELLING HOT WATER RECIRCULATING PUMPS
Top 5 BEST HOT WATER RECIRCULATION PUMP REVIEWS
Laing LHB08100092 AutoCirc Recirculation Pump with Timer
If you are looking for a hot water recirculating pump that can help you save more water and energy, this might be the best one for you. Laing LHB08100092 AutoCirc Recirculation Pump does an excellent job when it comes to delivering an efficient performance. No need to waste water and energy, Laing LHB08100092 AutoCirc Recirculation Pump uses a very little amount of power to provide instant hot water.
In fact, this model from Laing is known for its straightforward design that lets you gain more and save more. Instead of installing it on a heater, it is designed to be installed in the point of entry.
Features and Specifications:
- It uses an auto circ pump ACT E1 that is installed under the faucet or sink and farthest from the water heater
- It only requires 14W to do its job even without the need for a return line
- Its package includes a 6 feet long power cord
- It has a built-in 24 hour timer that allows an easy customization and selection of systems to operate only when hot water is needed
- It can save up to 17,000 gallons of water a year for an average family with up to four members
- It does not require a return line to work
- It only requires a small amount of energy
- It is built with a timer and operates silently
- It can help you save gallons of water
- It prevents blockage and is maintenance-free
- It is expensive
- It is not ideal to pair with tankless heaters
- It only works for one point of entry
Watts 500800 Instant Hot Water Recirculating System
Another top performing hot water recirculation pump, Watts 500800 Instant Hot Water Recirculating System is definitely a top seller. This hot water recirculating pump is designed by a top brand that is known to produce products that only provide an excellent performance. In fact, Watts 500800 Instant Hot Water Recirculating System can also help you save not just water but energy too.
This energy-efficient pump can last for years and still work well just like the first time. You will not even have a hard time to install and maintain it which is ideal for first-time users. This pump also performs in a discreet manner.
Features and Specifications:
- It can produce a hot water in every connected fixture from faucets to showers only when needed
- It can conserve up to 15,000 gallons of water and help you save up to 10% of your water bill
- Its smart design makes it easier to install and connect to existing plumbing without a sweat
- Its kit includes the pump with 2 adapters with rubber washers, and valve mounting screws
- It also has a sensor valve and two 12 inches supply lines
- Its built-in 24 hour timer is programmable which activates the pump when it is needed only
- It is very easy to install
- It requires low maintenance
- It is designed to last for years of regular use
- It is built with a timer to become energy and cost-efficient
- It can save thousands of gallons of water per year
- It produces warm water rather than hot
- Its hoses may be damaged sooner than its main pump
- Its timer should be adjusted regularly
Grundfos GRU-595916 1/25 Horsepower Comfort Series Recirculator Pump
Are you looking for a hot water recirculating pump that is powerful enough to make you proud? In that case, you might want to try one of the best-selling models from Grundfos. Grundfos GRU-595916 Comfort Series Recirculator Pump is known as a sophisticated and uniquely designed device. This pump is not only designed to provide you with the hot water you need but also help you save costs every year.
In fact, Grundfos is proud for making Grundfos GRU-595916 Comfort Series Recirculator Pump a life-changing device for every customer. Made from high-grade materials, you can assure yourself that this handy device will not leave your side for a long time.
Features and Specifications:
- It comes with a built-in timer and 6 feet line cord
- Its flow range is 0 – 9 U.S. GPM while its head range is 0 – 6-Foot
- It has an aluminum stator housing and stainless steel spherical separator
- It has a stainless steel/tungsten carbide rotor
- It is powered by a single phase motor with 115V and 1/25 HP
- Its connections are 3/4-Inch M by 3/4-Inch
- It runs quietly with low power consumption despite its superb performance
- Its pump is capable of circulating hot domestic water and circulating water in both cooling and air-conditioning systems
- It is available at an affordable price
- It can be installed easily
- Its flow rate can be adjusted according to your likes
- It is made from high-quality materials and parts
- It has a built-in timer to become energy-efficient
- It only requires low maintenance
- Its valve may tend to leak in some cases
- Its other parts are not as durable as its other parts
SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump
If you are on a tight budget but still want a high-quality water conservation device, you should check out SHURflo. SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump is a versatile device that is ideal for small houses and recreational vehicles. Thus, you can really find this device handy if you love taking a long weekend on your recreational vehicle. You can also install it without so much effort.
Unlike other hot water recirculating pumps, SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump automatically runs once the pressure reaches a 25 psi. As a result, this pump can produce up to 3 gallons of water per minute until you shut it off.
Features and Specifications:
- It is a self-priming hot water recirculating pump with an internal bypass-low cycling
- Its motor allows it to operate quietly unlike other pumps
- It is powered by a 12 VDC motor with permanent magnet and intermittent duty
- It is specially designed with a thermal protection to last for years
- It can run dry without being damaged after it is shut off
- It comes with a built-in check valve
- Its superb capacity allows it to pump up to 3 gallons of water per minute
- Its modern green design reduces the harmful waste and power consumption
- It operates silently
- It is made with a unibody construction
- Its pressure switch can be fully adjusted
- It is designed to produce gallons of water in just a minute
- It has a thermal protection and runs dry without being damaged
- Its motor speed is a little slower
- It is not ideal for heavy-duty use
- Its parts are not that durable and break down easily
Grundfos 59896155 1/25 Horsepower SuperBrute Recirculator Pump
Another best-selling model from Grundfos, Grundfos 59896155 SuperBruteRecirculator Pump is a powerful pump. It performs with an impressive flow rate that can put other pumps into shame. In fact, Grundfos 59896155 SuperBruteRecirculator Pump is ideal for large houses since it pumps more amount of water per minute. Coming from a well-known brand, it is safe to say that this hot water recirculating pump is no doubt made with exceptional quality.
But despite its powerful motor, it runs without making an irritating noise. In addition, it is energy-efficient so you can save more in the long run. Grundfos 59896155 SuperBruteRecirculator Pump is also ideal for budget pump seekers.
Features and Specifications:
- It is powered by a single phase 25W, 115V motor with 1/25 HP to provide an impressive pumping capacity
- Its flow range is 0- 15.5 U.S. GPM while its head range is 1- 15 feet which makes it ideal for large houses
- It has cast iron housing with a heavy-duty bronze and stainless steel pump
- It has a stainless steel/tungsten carbide rotor and spherical separator
- It has a built-in timer and a heat sensor which allows it to shut off automatically
- It has EPP 55 insulating cover, EPDM O-rings, and POM check valve
- It can be installed without so much effort
- Its flow rate can be adjusted according to your needs
- It is made from high-quality materials for heavy-duty construction
- Its designed only requires low maintenance
- Its automatic sensor comes in handy all the time
- Its other parts may break down sooner than its pump
- Its pump can have rust inside which can mix into the water
TYPES OF BEST HOT WATER RECIRCULATING PUMPS
To help you decide on the best type of hot water recirculating pump to use, check out how each type differs from one another.
- Traditional Hot Water Recirculating Pumps
The traditional hot water recirculating pump system has its own return line. This connects the hot water pipes to the bathrooms and faucets, and then back to the water heater. The recirculating pump pulls the water from the fixture and into the water heater in order to create a loop. The pump’s hot water loop keeps the hot water accessible in the tap whenever you need it since it is kept warm in the hot water pipe.
There are also some traditional hot water recirculating pumps that include a built-in timer. This way, you can customize the working hours of the pump to save energy costs.
- Instant Hot Water Recirculating Pumps
Unlike the traditional hot water recirculating pump, the instant hot water recirculating pump does not need a dedicated line to make a loop. This makes this pump system more ideal for some households and buildings since it is easier to install. In fact, this type of hot water recirculating pump can be installed on any kind of house. It can come from an over the water heater, or from under the sink.
Over the water heater- The pump is installed above the water heater while the check valve is installed far from the hot water heater under the sink. This setup creates the needed pressure to push the hot water into the water pipes.
Under the sink- The pump is installed far from the water heater under the sink. It pushes the hot water to the cold line to be accessible in all water fixtures.
- On-Demand Hot Water Recirculating Pumps
Quite similar to the instant hot water recirculating pump, the on-demand pump is activated by its user. Once activated, it pushes the cold water to the hot water pipes then back to the cold water pipe and into the water heater. This creates a temporary loop to heat the water and become accessible in the entire house. This can be really cost-efficient though you still have to wait for the water to heat up.
HOW TO INSTALL A BEST HOT WATER RECIRCULATING PUMP
When all you want is to enjoy some hot water but you don’t have the time and strength to prepare it, fret no more. Perhaps it’s about time you embrace the innovation that a hot water recirculating pump can give. With a hot water recirculating pump in your house, you don’t have to bother heating up some water on your stove anymore.
- All you have to do is install one, activate it and enjoy a hot water in the kitchen or in the bathroom. So, we already prepared some tips below on how you can install one in your house.
- Turn off the cold water pipe that connects to the water heater which is commonly installed on top of the water heater. Then, turn on the hot water fixture to check if the flow really stopped.
- Cut the flexible hot water supply which is connected to the hot side of the water heater. Be prepared to catch the residual water that will spill out of the pipe when cut.
- Set up your pump on how many times you want it to run using a programmer. The timer will automatically set the pump to work when you needed it the most.
- Screw the hot water pump to the hot side of the water heater where the hose is located. Make sure that the timer faces the direction where you can adjust it easily. You can use a plumber’s tape to tighten it down unless there’s already a rubber gasket in the pump fitting’s female nut.
- Connect the hot water line on top of the recirculating pump then tighten it down with a channel-type plier. You can also loop the flexible lines if needed then open the cold water pipeline again.
- Now, proceed to the sink that is installed farthest from the water heater then install the check valve. Be sure to turn off the water supply on both the hot and cold water supply using the valves under the sink.
- Screw the two water supply tubes from the sink to the outlets on top of the check valve. Take note that the hot water is on the left and the cold water is on the right outlet. Now, run the water on both tubes from the check valve to check if you’ve got the right ones.
- Once you’ve tightened down all connected tubes, mount the check valve on the wall. Use the provided screws included in the installation kit.
- Run the water on both lines to remove all the air out and check them for leaks or loose connections.
PROS AND CONS OF RECIRCULATING PUMP
To give you an unbiased set of statements about installing a hot water recirculating pump, these are some helpful Pros and Cons you should check out:
- High demand for hot water – Even if you don’t usually use hot water in taking a bath, it’s still nice to have it accessible when you needed it the most. In fact, it’s safe to say that the demand for hot water everywhere is pretty high.
- Cost and energy efficient – Some hot water recirculating pumps work only after being activated. Thus, it can help you save a lot of costs when paying water and electricity bills. After all, everyone should know how to conserve water and electricity.
- Affordable home improvement – Some people don’t realize right away that investing for a hot water recirculating pump is a great idea. It is very handy and affordable at the same time.
- Easy to install even with DIY – You don’t really need to be a pro when installing a hot water recirculating pump. It would only take a few hours to install it even by yourself.
- Compatible on most plumbing systems – Hot water recirculation pumps today are compatible with most plumbing house systems. Thus, the compatibility is not a really big issue.
- Can be a little expensive – From the materials used up to installing and making the pump work, you have to spend a quite big amount. Not to mention if you have a hot water recirculating pump that runs 24/7 to consume water and electricity.
- Uses electricity to pump hot water – Even a hot water recirculating pump also uses electricity so it’s better to consider one that is programmable. Your bills can still go up even if some pump’s power consumption is almost the same as powering a single light bulb.
- Delays cold water supply – Since the hot water and cold water pipelines are both used to produce hot water in the fixture, the cold water supply may be affected. As a matter of fact, some hot water recirculating pump users complain about its delay due to the pump.
Sometimes, it can be a little hard to accept changes. But if it is for the improvement of your life and your house’s value, you should grab the opportunity. Installing a hot water recirculating pump can definitely make a positive change in your life and house especially if you are a fan of hot water. May it be in taking a hot shower, in doing your laundry, or in washing the dishes; a hot water can be used in a lot of things. If you want to save money in the long run, it’s a wise idea to go for this pump now.