Updated: October 2021
The modern water pumping systems are just proving to be brilliant as the success stories with sump pumps are currently on the rise. When water loses control out of heavy rain, it rushes and leads to flooding your home basements and gardens. Here comes the magical role of a sump pump that removes the water being accumulated from the ground and dries up your basement or garden in no time. It rests in the sump hole bottom and operates right from there with the help of a switch. Although there are various types of sump pumps, you need to buy one as per your requirements. Once installed, a sump pump will ensure lifetime security to your abode, and investing in it, therefore, is a wise strategy.
Top 5 Sump Pump Comparison Chart
Best Selling Sump Pump Reviews
Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump
If you are not so new to the world of sump pumps, Zoeller M53 will not sound to be unfamiliar. Hugely popular among plumbers and contractors, this submersible pump is counted among the oldest models with the most powerful mechanism. Powered by a motor of 1/3 horsepower, it operates at a maximum speed of 1550 RPM and assures to tackle emergency situations with absolute efficiency. Weighing 21 pounds, it is easy to carry with its handle made of stainless steel. As it comes with a cast iron covering, it keeps the entire structure of the motor safe. For accomplishing heavy-duty jobs, Zoeller M53 is no doubt a smart recommendation for all homeowners.
Features and Specifications:
- Corrosion-free body and a sturdy outer covering keep its longevity sustained
- A pumping system that is AC powered and kept under the apartment block on water measuring over 7 inches
- Has the capability to pump out 43 gallons of water per minute, which is huge in times of emergency
- Equipped with vortex impeller that has been devised to ensure that there is no water clogging
- Comes loaded with oil and supported by thermal overloading protection that keeps it safe
- Includes a 9-foot power cord that comfortably reaches an electrical socket
- Activation happens automatically as the water reaches 7 inches
- Has a switch that can be easily replaced
- Comprises a cast iron structure that keeps the switch, engine and pump safe
- No efforts required to keep it clean and maintained
- Not powerful to handle violent rainstorms
- Durability of the switch is not good
- Weighs a bit heavier
WAYNE CDU980E 3/4 HP Submersible Cast Iron and Stainless Steel Sump Pump
Who said sump pumps don’t look trendy? Wayne CDU980E has been ruling charts with its awe-struck design, making it an ideal pick for thousands of homeowners. What has made this submersible sump pump an outstanding choice among users is its fantastic molded base design and unmatched portability. Besides, its exceptional horsepower and cast iron body have drawn the attention of many. Being highly energy-efficient, it scores in terms of performance owing to its flow rate of 5673 gallons per hour. Its automatic operating mechanism is also quite noteworthy with its built-in Vertical Float Switch. Easy to install, Wayne CDU980E will be worth every effort it will take to dry up your home.
Features and Specifications:
- Rough and tough, Wayne CDU980E has an engineered design and makes no noise during operation
- Holds the capacity to pump out 5673 gallons of water on an hourly basis
- Has an exclusive top suction design that will cut down clogging and also safeguard air lock condition
- Cast iron body acts as a shield against any type of leaks and corrosion
- An 8-feet water resistant power cord lets the user get easy access to an electrical outlet
- Operates at 120 Volts that keeps its performance going
- Float switch protects it against debris
- Housed in good quality stainless steel that complements its longevity
- Runs on a very powerful motor that lets it pump out water faster
- Enabled with switch guard to ensure that there is no cartage damage
- The power cord is submersible that keeps it away from short circuits
- The handle provided on the pump is too small to hold
- Length of the power cord is a bit short
Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
Now witness a power packed performance from a mini thermoplastic frame with Superior 91250. Made to run on a ¼ horsepower motor, this submersible utility pump delivers a power of thirty gallons of water per minute. What makes it strong and sturdy is its thermoplastic construction, which will last for years to come. No matter how flooded your basement is, this efficient pumping system will pump down all uninvited water in a jiffy. With full thermal protection, it also comes with a split-capacitor motor for an incredible performance. Go for this durable sump pump today and keep a safe strategy ready for your home.
Features and Specifications:
- Sturdiness is unquestionable as it features a fine thermoplastic construction
- Supports a sleek design that makes it quite compact and easier to fit in a 6-inch opening
- Vortex impeller included that makes it clog resistant
- Safety is high with the facility of thermal overload protection
- A power supply cord included that measures up to 10 inches
- Performance is brilliant as it is made to run at 120 Volts
- There are filters on the button suction in order to filter debris of up to 1/8 inches
- Holds a discharge speed of 1200 GPH at 10ft
- Best to consider for domestic uses in terms of reliability and consistency
- Easy to set up as its design is quite compact and takes less space as well
- Does not heat up unnecessarily for its built-in cooling system
- Does not come with a float switch and often creates inconvenience in installation
- The power cord is not of good quality
Liberty Pumps 257 Cast Iron Automatic Submersible Sump/Effluent Pump
Homeowners now have become smarter in choosing such pumping systems that can let them save a good deal of money. With Liberty Pumps 257, you can now stay away from high utility bills and keep your expenses under control. Belonging to the 250 series, this automatic submersible pump can pump up to 50 GPM on an hourly basis. What makes it a great sump pump is its unparalleled longevity due to its cast iron body and thermal protection. So where safety has to be ensured, this 1/3 HP sump pump will do its best to keep your home clean and dry.
Features and Specifications:
- Saves energy to a good extent and keeps a check on your utility bills
- Comes equipped with a vertical float VMF switch that operates magnetically and delivers an outstanding performance
- Housed with a one-piece cast iron and assures thermal protection at its best
- Does not weigh much as it is around 15 pounds that makes it easier to carry from one place to another
- Compact in size as it measures 9.6 x 9.6 x 10.5 inches and does not take much space
- A 10-feet power cord has been provided that makes it easier to connect to electrical outlets
- Operates with no noise and is quieter in comparison to others
- Smoothly empties water under the sink with no complications at all
- Construction is very hardy that strengthens its longevity to a good extent
- Installation is not a hassle at all
- Not strong for handling severe rainy conditions
- Inconsistency in performance
- Water discharging issues often crop up
WAYNE WSS30V Pre-Assembled Primary and Battery Backup Sump Pump
Here comes a trendy battery back-up sump pump from the house of Wayne that will not involve any installation procedures for being pre-assembled. What users have loved about Wayne WSS30V is its top suction design that not only resists clogging but also eliminates the requirement of a vent during installation. To keep its operation sustained for hours in the absence of electrical power, it needs a 40 or 75 AH deep cycle battery. Surprisingly, it can pump up to 3300 GPH at zero feet. Supported by heavy-duty check valves, this powerful sump pump is worth every penny.
Features and Specifications:
- Runs on energy-efficient motors and operates with no noise
- Its pre-plumbed design along with the check-valves makes it easier for plumbers to install
- Its rugged design and corrosion-resistant body add to its longevity
- Runs on ½ HP motor and assures high thermal protection to keep users away from short circuit
- Built-in Vertical Float Switch that operates automatically for collecting debris
- Made of high-quality components to keep it leak-free and safe
- Can pump up to 3300 gallons of water per hour
- Takes no time to start just when there is failure detected in the main pump
- As it comes pre-assembled, the process of installation will not take much time
- Each and every part of the pump is rust-free and corrosion-free as well
- Clogging is minimized due to its top suction design
- Lifespan is shorter in comparison to other sump pumps in the market
- Chances of acquiring rust after a few hours in the water
Zoeller M63 PREMIUM SERIES Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump
Sump pumps that work equally well for commercial and residential purposes are wise to consider, and Zoeller M63, in this respect, is just brilliant. On the one hand, it stands high on durability while it creates minimal heat on the other. In other words, users can stay away from typical overheating issues. Its 1.5-inch NPT discharge makes it compatible to be used in diverse sectors. Equipped with a float-operated system, it is extremely user-friendly with its two-pole mechanical switch. Completely crafted out of cast iron, this sump pump is super hardy and has a thermal overload protection. Now enjoy safety with convenience at home with this reliable sump pump from Zoeller.
Features and Specifications:
- Built with solid cast iron with a powder-coated epoxy finish that makes it capable to handle strong forces of water gushing in
- Safety is assured with its airtight seal and thermal overload protection that can be reset automatically
- Power cord provided is 10-foot long and its plug end is lighted for more visibility
- The guard, handle, switch arm and screws are all made of good quality stainless steel
- Transfers ground and dewaters commercial and residential buildings in almost no time
- Made of high-quality components inside that lets it operate with no disturbing sounds
- Longevity is good in comparison to other pumps in this range
- Handles debris and contaminated water with absolute efficiency
- Works faster and is also a lot reliable in terms of functionality
- Balances well even in harsh flooding conditions
- The motor is not strong enough to draw sufficient water
- The integral switch makes the pump difficult to install and service
Types of Sump Pumps
Are you one of those homeowners living in an area with high chances of confronting heavy rainstorms? Well, by any means, if you are living in such an area, it would be wiser of you to keep safety measures at home. Just imagine your basement is completely flooded and you are left with no such strategies that could quicken up things to bring such a situation under control. So, why not install a sump pump at home?
With a sump pump, you can easily get rid of unwanted water trying to clog your basement. Even if you have a garden, you can keep it clean and safe with such pumping systems. So, before you buy a best sump pump for your basement, it’s very important for you to know the different types of sump pumps. Once you come to know about each of them, it will be easier for you to understand what would actually meet your purpose.
So, let’s take a look at the types of sump pumps available:
- Primary sump pump –
If there is an efficient pump that would promise to keep your home completely dry, it is a primary sump pump. Instead, it can pump out a thousand gallons of water on an hourly basis. Under primary sump pumps, there are pedestal and submersible pumps. Where submersible pumps are placed underwater, pedestal pumps cater to small basins.
- Battery sump pump –
Battery sump pumps are brought to use when the power goes out. Sometimes, the main pump fails to perform in times of heavy rainfall. In such cases, these sump pumps will work and that also without steady electric power.
- Combination sump pump –
Sump pumps can be all-rounders, and these are none other than the Combination sump pumps. Since these combine the power of primary and battery sump pumps, they are called Combination sump pumps. This means that they not only work well without sufficient power but also ensure that your home is safeguarded against extreme flooding conditions.
- Sewage sump pump–
Unlike conventional sump pumps, sewage pumps are basically designed to pump out the sewage waste products. They need to be installed correctly, and once the installation is done, they will start operating automatically.
Now that you have come to know about all the possible sump pumps, it would be easier for you to choose the right one for your home. Chalk out your purpose and invest accordingly.
How to Choose the Best Sump Pump
If you are a regular victim of heavy rain and storm, it’s a sump pump that would actually prove to be a befitting savior. Just after you have accumulated a little bit knowledge on the uses and benefits of sump pumps, believe it or not, you are done with half the job of choosing the good sump pump.
If possible, you can always talk to a professional and discuss as to where and how you want to make use of the sump pump at home. Although installing these pumps do not take more than thirty minutes, you need to gather all those essential materials along with the pump you wish to bring home.
So, here are a few ways following which can assist you in choosing the best quality sump pump. Take a look:
- Check your requirements –
More than half of the homeowners miss out on this aspect and rather get busy in buying a sump pump. Well, you can start this by ensuring whether you need an exact replacement. People with pedestal pumps often prefer switching to submersible ones, which are stronger in functionality and quitter in terms of operation. Most importantly, make sure that the pump you are going to install at home is recommended for domestic use.
- Check performance standards –
What is important to consider while buying any type of pump is its horsepower. So, if you think that you are going to make the pump run for long, ensure that it has sufficient power that would drain out all unnecessary water in quick time. Also, make sure that it does not overheat in the process. So, try to invest in a sump pump that can work efficiently in the long-run with no complications.
- Check if there is a float switch–
Just as water enters the basin in order to activate the sump pump, a tethered switch comes up floating. For this, what it requires is a sump basin size measuring 14 inches in terms of diameter. There are also pumps with vertical switches that can be used in small basins of 10 inches diameter.
- Check how durable it is–
The strongest aspects of a sump pump are longevity and quality. You never know what strength this pump needs to deliver while removing water from your basement or garden. So, you need to ensure that the materials with which it is made are superior so that it leaves no question in terms of performance. Therefore, durability is a crucial factor to ensure while choosing the sump pump.
- Check whether its price is justified –
Since there are diverse sump pumps in the market, you need to choose one that would fulfill your requirements within your budget. However, this does not mean that you will end up picking a low-priced one just to stay within your means. Well, burning a hole in your pocket is certainly not the point but what one must ensure is investing into a sump pump that can ease emergency situations and last long for years to come.
FAQ About Sump Pumps
Prior to purchasing a product, your mind is stuffed with endless questions. Most importantly, when it comes to investing in something your home will benefit from, you get a lot skeptic. It often happens that you fail to get proper assistance from experts and thereafter land up making the wrong choice. Well, the subject here is a sump pump and believe it or not, you are sure to have a good number of queries regarding these.
So, to keep things easy, take a look at the following FAQ section as it might assist you in solving a few queries of yours:
- Which type of sump pump is best?
Basically, people go with pedestal and submersible sump pumps, and both are good in terms of service. Where pedestal pumps require less ampere power and are easy on the pocket, submersible pumps are a bit pricier and are advanced in comparison to a pedestal pump. So, if you are too budget conscious, a pedestal pump would be good. But if you are willing to pay more for more longevity, a submersible pump would be ideal.
- How will you test whether a sump pump is working or not?
The first thing to check is the outlet pipe as to whether it has been shut or not and can strongly divert water from the house. So, just unplug the pump, take off the lid and throw a flashlight to check whether the sump is absolutely clean. Check the inlet, plug it and make sure you have also plugged in the pump. Once done, pour water down the pump slowly and allow it to stimulate. Keep track of the action of the float switch and carefully listen to the pump. Switch the pump on and off twice, and you will get to know if there is any noise in the operation.
- What is the ideal sump pump size for a home?
Ideally, there is no specific size of a sump pump to consider for a home. What is actually important is determining the drainage area in relation to other factors like the sump pump, the basement depth, the groundwater depth etc. Although most homeowners prefer is a 1/3 horsepower pump, ½ horsepower pumps can also be considered for domestic purposes.
- What usually stands responsible for the failure of a sump pump?
Electrical connections are highly responsible for causing failure in the working of sump pumps. As sump pumps require a minimum horsepower, it has to be ensured that the electrical outlet where it is plugged is able to deliver the required power. If this does not happen, the consequence is a failure.
- Is a backup pump essential apart from a sump pump?
It is always a wise idea to keep a backup support apart from the main pump at home. In case, you are away from home, backup pumps will give the required support in case the main pump fails drastically.
So, are you finally convinced with the idea as to how a sump pump can save you from uninvited flooding? Remember, you need to save your loved ones from falling prey to mishaps that might be caused by water entering your basement. The right sump pump can, therefore, turn tables. Now, once you have drawn comparisons or discussed with experts in regard to buying the best sump pump, be clear with your requirements, check how much you can afford, get the installation materials ready and bring home your ideal sump pump today.